March 4 report from engineers Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Kessler Neighbors United Discussion Board » Traffic & Road Construction Issues » March 4 report from engineers « Previous Next »

Bill Compton
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 1:06 pm:   

Last week the project crews made efforts to again make patches in this area. Within the next month or so, we should be moving traffic off of old south bound Sylvan and onto old north bound Sylvan (part of which has been replaced). This section is in much better shape than what is being driven on now. At that time we will begin efforts to rebuild all of south bound Sylvan under I-30. Once south bound reconstruction is complete, we will move traffic back to south bound Sylvan and complete reconstruction of the pavement on north bound Sylvan and of a new U-turn to connect the west bound service road to the east bound service road without going through the signals. This overall effort is estimated to be completed by September of this year. We ask you please bare with our maintenance efforts a few more weeks before we can get traffic moved onto a better driving surface. We thank you for your comments and concerns" - Bill Compton, P.E., Construction Engineer, Dallas Northeast Area Office, 214-320-4448

Bruce Fogarty
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 1:12 pm:   

March 21 status:

The following is a summary of communicatoins between our neighbor Bruce Fogarty and Bill Compton, the TxDOT Dallas Division's manager for the I-30 project between Loop 12 and Sylvan-Beckley. This is based on his overall project review Bill completed two weeks ago.

Two weeks ago, East-bound I-30 moved to the new main lanes through the project area; i.e., those lanes on the S-edge of I-30. This is a prerequisite to removing the old bridge at Postal Way and for most of the remaining earthwork from Westmoreland Rd to Sylvan Ave to be completed, as well as allowing the underpasses at Fort Worth Ave and Edgefield Ave to be completed.
The Edgefield Ave bridge will be rebuilt. At this point there is no cost savings if the bridge is not built.
Within the next month or so, the pavement patches on the E-bound I-30 frontage road (made when digging to improve drainage) will be made permanent (with concrete).
Sometime before June 5th N-bound Sylvan will be open with temporary surface and S-bound Sylvan closed. This enables construction to begin on culvert and pavement on S-bound side. Mr. Compton said that there is nothing stopping this from occurring except the overall project schedule, which is not showing this area critical to the contractor's overall project completion at this time. That priority means they will work on it as a "float" item, meaning they will utilize resources on this work only when they are not needed to work on schedule critical work.
About June 5th, W-bound I-30 will be switched to "middle" (i.e., from north-most to "middle") lanes. This will allow the last portion of the old bridge at Postal Way to be removed.
Once the W-bound traffic is switched, the old remaining bridges over Sylvan will come down. After this happens and the culvert is finished, Sylvan can be paved with permanent concrete. At this point the schedule for that is about Labor Day.
I pointed out to Bill that from standpoint of KNU and neighboring residents, anything that can be done to ease the bottleneck at Sylvan would be greatly appreciated. One of the original holdups according to Bill was the difficulty in relocating the utility lines through the Sylvan-I-30 intersection. I urged him to switch traffic to N-bound Sylvan as soon as possible so that construction can start on culvert, which, as Bill pointed out in a telephone call, is likely to be more challenging than the culvert work already completed. Here was his reply:

"We understand your concerns, we too drive through this intersection and have to move materials and equipment through this intersection and it routinely makes our working this area less productive than on other portions of the project. We have made huge strides throughout construction to considerably decrease the overall project schedule by 18 months or more, thus meaning some share of those months belong to the Sylvan Ave area as well. Imagine if the job was 18 month longer than this fall and most of those months would be impacting the Sylvan area. Anyway, hope this clears it up for you."

His contact info: Bill Compton, P.E., Construction Engineer, Dallas Northeast Area Office, 214-320-4448, 214-634-0123
Robert Lambert
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 6:44 pm:   

Wasn't there plans to add an exit for Sylvan ave. from the east bound side of I-30? From the looks of the walls that are up now, this isn't going to happen.
Harrison Price
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 9:02 am:   

My recollection from a presentation made a couple of years ago by the project manager is that adding an eastbound exit at Sylvan was never in the plans.
Mike Anglin
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 7:56 am:   

I think Harrison is right. The highway dept. had decided to keep the Beckley eastbound exit, but not add a Sylvan eastbound exit.
moochetta
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 7:48 pm:   

Can someone pleae let the main man know that if they removed the three or four huge orange traffic cones in the Westbound service road U-turn lane maybe people would realize it is open. As it is now, you have to be past them and almost to the light to happen to notice it's open. People are still turning left. Then turning left again to get onto the Eastbound service road. This causes huge traffic problems.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration