Gilliam Estate and windmill Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Kessler Neighbors United Discussion Board » "I've got a question." » Gilliam Estate and windmill « Previous Next »

sjmcm3
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 1:18 am:   

As a boy (I'm now 67), I and my mother were among a few people with an open invitation to visit the Gilliam Estate, just west of Kidd Springs Creek, which had incredible flower gardens and was a bird sanctuary, lovingly tended by Mr. Gilliam, an elderly if somewhat cantankerous gentleman. It had a lovely house, into which we were never invited. The invitation came at the behest of Louisa Luebka, the choral music teacher at Greiner Jr. High, where my mother also taught. She had come to know Mr. Gilliam during her years of teaching at Greiner, which ended in the summer of 1947, when she married a childhood friend in Wisconsin and became a farmer's wife.
The water for the flowers and birds came from a windmill located just south of Colorado Blvd on Kidd Springs Creek which drew water from the creek and pumped it up the hill.
The estate was purchased sometime in the 50's or early 60's by Earl Hayes, who built a house there. I believe other changes were made to the estate, mostly not for the better.
Pete Peabody
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 9:58 am:   

Whoever left this message, please give me a call, I would love to here more about this. While doing some research at the public library some time ago, I came across a newspaper article regarding this track of land and the windmill. You may reach me at 214-946-5701.
Pete Peabody

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration